Food and Emergency Storage Preparedness

“Be prepared in all things against the day when tribulations and desolations are sent forth upon the wicked.”
Doctrine and Covenants 29:8

Friday, May 13, 2011

A YEAR?! I can't even afford A MONTH at one time!

Remember to START HERE if you are just beginning to read.


It's true that food storage is a commitment of an extensive amount of dough (no pun intended), but the idea is to do it over a long period of time.  If you have the finances to be able to buy everything you need in a short amount of time, GREAT!  You are truly blessed, however, most people do not have that kind of money.  


Several months ago, we made the hard decision to cancel our satellite subscription ($60/month) and our netflix subscription ($10/month).  And I say it was a hard decision because it truly was!  We were so used to them, we had so many shows we liked to keep up with, it was part of our way of life.  However, when we cancelled them, we decided to use that money every month for food storage.  I now have an allotted $70 per month I spend on food storage as a surety.  Sometimes I spend a little more if we have it, but my minimum is $70.  


This is a recent grocery trip I took:


 My total after this trip for food storage items was $74.83.  (I didn't include the raspberries in that calculation.  They were my "splurge" item.  I had an extra $30, which is where that splurge went.)


My list:
2 whole wheat flours
1 package bread flour
2 cans cream of celery
2 cans cream of potato
2 cans cream of gumbo
4 can chicken broth
9.5 lbs Farina cereal
2 whole wheat Minute Rices
6.5 lbs raisin/almond granola
1 gallon Maple Syrup
12 cans black beans
12 cans Red kidney beans
12 cans corn


Keep in mind I am no shopping pro.  I don't do couponing very well.  So if you are a couponer, I'm sure you could do this food storage thing in a jiff, while saving money!


If you are truly looking to get a food storage, you will find ways to get extra money.  We also have another contract coming to an end the end of this month which will give me an additional $40. (I'm so excited!!) We also have a rule that if we ever sell anything (like on e-bay or craigslist or if we do a garage sale or something) that all of that money goes towards food storage.  Recycle your used items and turn them into food storage! Organize your garage, your kids' rooms, your closets, etc and find items that you are comfortable with listing on craigslist.  It's a great way to get some extra money if you don't seem to have it right now.  You CAN do it, I promise!  

No comments:

Post a Comment