Food and Emergency Storage Preparedness

“Be prepared in all things against the day when tribulations and desolations are sent forth upon the wicked.”
Doctrine and Covenants 29:8

Friday, May 13, 2011

Label What You Have

Remember to START HERE if you are just beginning to read. 


Once you begin assembling items into your food storage, a great way to keep track of what you have is to label your jars/containers with what recipe it is for, and also how many other containers you have of that same thing.  I got my chocolate chips and freeze dried raspberries ready for storage today, so here's a good example of what I mean: 


I got a 72 oz bag of chocolate chips from Costco.  The whole bag filled 3 of my 5 needed jars, leaving about 1/2 cup left over in the bag.  I used my FoodSaver jar attachment to vacuum seal my jars.




On the top of each jar I included these little stickies with important info:




I included the recipe these are used for, how many jars there should be along with this one (1 of 5, 2 of 5 etc), the month and year I packaged it, and how many cups are in it.  


Now these chocolate chips are ready to store for 2-3 years. : )  


This is a can of the freeze dried raspberries.  Again I included a sticky with the recipe, how many this can is of how many I need total (there are 5 cups in here and I need 13 cups for my year storage, so I'm rounding up to needing 3 cans), and the date I bought it. 




Doesn't organization feel GREAT?!

No comments:

Post a Comment