Food and Emergency Storage Preparedness

“Be prepared in all things against the day when tribulations and desolations are sent forth upon the wicked.”
Doctrine and Covenants 29:8

Sunday, May 8, 2011

My 7 Breakfast Recipes

Wondering why I'm posting 7 breakfast recipes?  Click the tab above that says "Where To Begin", or click HERE. 


*Feel free to use any, all, or none of these for yourself.  Or feel free to make your own additions to better fit your tastes. 


Breakfasts


#1. Pancakes
I use Krusteaz Pancake Mix because not only does it have some of the best pancakes, but you only have to add water, so it's super easy. 

(104 cups) 2 cups Krusteaz Buttermilk Pancake Mix
(78 cups) 1 1/2 cups water
(156 cups) 3 cups Maple Syrup
(104 cups) 2 cups Peanut Butter (optional)
*Non-stick spray* --- I will include about 3 cans for this recipe
  • Make pancakes according to instructions
  • Prepare to your liking
*Our family, especially the kids, likes to put peanut butter on top of their pancakes and then put syrup over the top.*

#2. Granola

*For this recipe, for easier storing purposes, instead of storing all of the ingredients for this I am going to finger out how many cups I need for my whole year and then buy the Granola my family likes in the bulk section at Winco.  I will then store it in either #10 cans, or I will package them in quart sized jars and use my Food Saver jar accessory to suck out all the air. I have included the recipe on my note cards as a just in case kind of scenario, and I can store these ingredients if I want to later on after I have my whole year's supply complete as a buffer. If you would like the granola recipe I have, just send me an e-mail in the "Contact Me" tab.*

For 8 servings (I don't need 8 servings, but I add extra where I can just in case) I will need 416 cups of granola, which is 32 #10 cans or 104 quart sized jars. 
Also needed:
1/2 milk per serving = 208 cups powdered milk & 208 cups water

#3. Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins

(104 cups) 2 cups flour
(52 cups) 1 cup sugar
(104 tsp) 2 tsp baking powder
(26 tsp) 1/2 tsp salt
(52 eggs) 1 egg (don't forget to include the water for this if you are using egg powder)
(39 cups) 3/4 cup milk (don't forget to include water if you are using milk powder)
(about 15 cups) Just over 1/4 cup oil
  • Stir together dry ingredients
  • add wet ingredients and optional ingredients
  • scoop into greased muffin tins
  • sprinkle tops with sugar (only if you have accounted for extra sugar)
  • bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes
**For faster mornings, you can make a large batch of dry ingredients (3x or 4x or more the recipe) and store in an air tight container.  To make 12 muffins, scoop 3 cups of the dry ingredients, and then add the amount of wet ingredients from the recipe above and bake* 

*My optional ingredients for this recipe include, blueberries, chocolate chips, strawberries, and raspberries.  I am going to store 13 cups of each (dependent on how many cups are in 1 #10 can of the dehydrated fruit. If there are more than 13 cups in each can, I will just get one can of each. Since I haven't bought these ingredients yet, I don't know that part yet), and then each week add 1 cup of one of them to the batter when it calls for the "optional ingredients" in the recipe.  This is a good way to add variety.* 

#4. Crepes

(312 eggs) 6 eggs
(156 cups) 3 cups flour
(104 tsp) 2 tsp salt
(156 tbsp) 3 tbsp butter
(156 tsp) 3 tsp vanilla
  • Mix all ingredients well in a medium bowl
  • Spray a medium sized frying pan with non stick spray
  • Poor a small amount of batter in the center of the pan and then spread around by tilting the pan in a circles
  • Flip when the edges begin to look crispy
  • Cook opposite side about half the time the first side was cooked
  • Spread a cinnamon/sugar mixture in the center of each crepe and then roll it up.  
I will be storing 1 large container of cinnamon, and 2 #10 cans of sugar for the center mixture. I will also store 1 can of non stick spray for this recipe.  This recipe also is much larger than what my family  needs.  By making extra crepes, you will be able to have a yummy snack for yourself or for your kids later on in the day.

#5. Oatmeal w/ Raisins

(468 cups)9 cups water
(104 tsp) 2 tsp salt
(234 cups) 4.5 cups oatmeal
(52 cups) 1 cup raisins

  • Boil water and salt
  • Add oatmeal and cook until done (5-10 minutes)
  • Add raisins
To each person's bowl add: (416 tbs) 1 tablespoon sugar
                                                (208 cups powdered milk and 208 cups water) 1/2 cup milk


*optional addition: Maple syrup, honey, or brown sugar


#6. 10 Grain Cereal
Yield: 10 cups cooked cereal

(624 cups) 12 cups water
(104 tsp) 2 tsp salt
(208 cups) 4 cups cereal
  • Bring water and salt to a boil
  • Add cereal
  • Cover and cook until thick (10-20 minutes)

To each person's bowl add: (416 tbs) 1 tablespoon sugar
                                                (208 cups powdered milk and 208 cups water) 1/2 cup milk

*optional addition: Maple syrup, honey, or brown sugar

#7. Farina
Yield: 10 servings

(455 cups) 8 3/4 cups water
(78 tsp) 1 1/2 tsp salt
(87 cups) 1 2/3 cup Farina cereal
  • Boil water and salt
  • Add Farina and cook until thick and creamy
To each person's bowl add: (416 tbs) 1 tablespoon sugar
                                                (208 cups powdered milk and 208 cups water) 1/2 cup milk

*optional addition: Maple syrup, honey, or brown sugar

#8. Cold Cereal
(This is my "buffer" breakfast. It's fast and easy.)

I will store 208 cups of various cold cereals that I find on sale.  This will equate to 52 vacuum sealed quart jars, or 16 #10 cans.  

I will also store with this 156 cups of powdered milk and 156 cups of water.

This is enough for once a week for 6 months. 

(If I don't get this one all the way finished, I won't sweat it since I should have all of my other breakfasts done already.  Me and my kids just looove cold cereal, and going a year without it might be unbearable.  I didn't want to make it one of my 7 meals though, because it's generally not all that healthy or filling--- we will need good, filling, meals so we can get all of the energy we can.  If we eat cold cereal, it will be either as a snack or as a once in a while breakfast.)

The next step will be to combine all of our ingredients on an easy-to-read spreadsheet for easy inventory.  Coming up next! : D




No comments:

Post a Comment